Coach of the Year
Drew Rogers, Snowboarding
Drew Rogers has been helping develop the skills of snowboarders in Grande Prairie through the Nitehawk Snowboard Club. This is his 5th season coaching with Nitehawk and he is dedicated to ensuring athletes have a fun learning environment and can reach their goals. Drew loves all sport and is a great role model for all athletes in the Peace Region. Drew has been selected as a coach for Alberta Winter Games and Arctic Winter Games in both 2016 & 2018. Drew has been involved in continuous coaching development since 2013 and his dedication for the athletes goes beyond in-season activities.
Female Athlete of the Year
Dani Downey, Rugby
- Charles Spencer High School Girls Rugby 2017 – Most Valuable Player, Grande Prairie, Alberta
- Charles Spencer High School Girls Rugby Team 2017 – Edmonton Pirates High School 7s Tournament Champions
- Charles Spencer High School Girls Rugby Team 2017 – Peace Regional High School Championships – 2nd Place
- Edmonton Rugby Union 2017 – Lep-Tigers Rugby Club (Division I) – Junior Rookie of the Year, Edmonton, Alberta
- Atlantic University Sport Record Book 2017/2018 – Most Points Scored – Individual in a Regular Season – 116 points (4th Place)
- Atlantic University Sport (USport) Rookie of the Year 2017/2018, Antigonish, Nova Scotia
Male Athlete of the Year
John ‘Jack’ MacDougall
Member of the National Development Team for Snowboard Slopestyle
- January 7, 2017, Big White Ski Resort: FIS Slopestyle 1st Place
- January 8, 2017, Big White Ski Resort: FIS Slopestyle 4th Place
- February 5, 2017, Canada Olympic Park: FIS Slopestyle 4th Place
- February 11, 2017, Canada Olympic Park: Nor-Am Cup Slopestyle 5th Place
- March 11, 2017, Horseshoe Ski Resort: National Championships Big Air 2nd Place
- March 12, 2017, Mount Louis Moonstone: National Junior Championships Slopestyle 3rd Place
- March 30, 2017, Spindleruv Mlyn, Czech Republic: FIS Jr. World Championships Slopestyle 10th Place
- March 31, 2017, Spindleruv Mlyn, Czech Republic: FIS Jr. World Championships Big Air 20th Place
Team of the Year
St Joseph’s Ceinahs Senior Girls Volleyball Team
- Undefeated 2017 Season
- Back to Back provincial Champions
- Northwest Zone Champions
- GPRC Big Red Champions
- University of Alberta Tournament Champs
- Morinville Tournament Champions
- Louis St Laurent Tournament Champions
Event of the Year
Wildrose Classic Provincial Synchronized Swim Meet, Hosted by the GP Synquatics
The Grande Prairie Synquatics are a small club with 27 swimmers with only three of those swimming competitively. Jen Doumont (Head Coach) and Terrance Sweeney (President of the Board) were instrumental in the organization of the Wildrose Classic as the Meet Managers.
- Hosted a large provincial synchro event consisting of 244 swimmers, 45 coaches & 20+ judges.
- First time ever hosting a provincial synchro event.
- The net increase (GDP) in economic activity in Grande Prairie as a result of the Wildrose Classic Provincial Swim Meet is estimated at $168,334
- Parents & judges’ feedback were of smooth execution & organization
Junior Female Athlete of the Year
Makena Pruden, X Country Skiing
- Alberta Midget Girl Champion 2017, Canmore, AB
- 1st and 2nd in B.C. Cup race in Prince George, Feb 2017
- 3rd and 2nd place finishes in Provincial races held in Red Deer in Feb 2017.
- 2, 2nd place finishes in Provincial races held in Canmore, AB in December 2017 as a Juvenile Girl.
- 1st place finish at the Olympic site in Pyeongchang, South Korea in the Relay team as anchor in December 2017.
- 2nd place finish at the Olympic site in Pyeongchang, South Korea in the individual 5km in December 2017.
- Is ranked 3rd in the province in 2017.
- 2, second place finishes as a Juvenile Girl in provincial races in Canmore, AB in December 2017
Junior Athlete of the Year
Ian Stoby, Taekwondo/Boxing/Brazilian Jujitsu
- 2017 Alberta Provincial Boxing Championships, Junior B 60 kg Gold Medal, Best Youth Boxer award winner
- 2017 Phoenix Taekwondo tournament, Sparring 62 kg Gold Medal, Black Belt Patterns Gold Medal
- 2017 Capital City Championships, Brazilian Jujitsu 65 kg, Gold Medal, NoGi Submission Grappling 65 kg, Gold Medal
- 2017 Dragon Challenge Taekwondo Tournament, Sparring 65 kg Gold Medal, Black Belt patterns Gold Medal, Power Breaking Gold Medal.
- 2017 International Taekwondo Federation World Championships, Barneveld Netherlands, 63Kg Sparring Gold Medal,
- Team Sparring 14-17 yrs Open Weight Sparring Gold Medal, Team Power Breaking Gold Medal
- 2017 Destiny Martial Arts Tournament, 65kg Sparring Gold Medal
Ken Loudon, Soccer
A staple in the sporting community of the last 20 years Ken has invested countless hours into the growth of soccer. Ken’s passion for soccer is visible in all that he does. He is a very positive and uplifting role model who is always willing to help and is there when needed.
- Provincial referee status
- David Mochan Award recipient
- ASA outstanding volunteer of the year 2002
- Member of the competitions committee for 7 years
- District referee assistant for 18 years
- Member of the discipline committee 18 years
- 13 years mentoring and growing refs in the region
- Local ACAC referee coordinator
Carl Linden, Baseball
- For more than 15years has donated time, talent, treasure and passion to help youth learn baseball and provide facilities to play
- Sponsors an annual Baseball Alberta scholarship award for youth
- Coached a wide variety of youth baseball teams including head coach of the girls Team Alberta at Canadian Nationals
- Key member in developing 13 diamonds at the region
- Started the Northern Lights Baseball Academy (2016) – to further enhance youth skill development
- Was a board member and president of Baseball Alberta for about 20 years – instrumental in retaining NCCP coaching certification under the Baseball Alberta umbrella
- Minor level scout for Atlanta Braves and more recently San Diego Padres
Kara Sewall, Soccer
Kara Sewall began coaching our son 7 years ago. She has continued to coach since then. She also coached our daughter’s team at the same time as our son’s team. She currently volunteers as a board president, another board member, team manager of 2 teams, and coaches multiple teams at the school where she teaches. Kara also finds time to play on a women’s soccer team and is the mother of 2.
- Volume of hours
- 7 years consecutively involved
- Currently President of GP minor soccer board, also a member of another soccer board
- Also team manager of 2 teams
- Also coaches for the school she works at multiple teams
Developmental Coach of the Year
Renee Sonnenberg, Curling
Renee is determined to keep the sport of curling alive and grow GP Curling Club. She started the Junior program and has grown the junior program from zero to over 60 kids. Renee has been behind the Rocks & Rings program which is now in most of the schools.
- Associate Coach: 2015 Bronze at Women’s Worlds & Gold at 2017 Womens Worlds Team Rachel Holmen
- Curling Canada National Team Assistant Coach.
- Renee’s son Courtland is Skip (all under 15), Coached by Renee & won the right to represent our zone at Arctic Winter Games
Grande Prairie Broncos Bantam Football Team
The Grande Prairie Broncos have been in existence for over 20 years. Over the Years they have helped many players live their dreams of playing football and some on to college or university teams. The coaches and members believe in strong community involvement and will continue to pass it on to future generations. After hearing another team lost equipment to theft the broncos fundraised with a raffle at their game. The team also donated 35 brand new toys for Santa’s Chimneys, 1 from each member of the team, and ran another raffle in support of breast cancer.