Coach of the Year
Ron Thomson, Volleyball
30 years of elite coaching experience between the University, Collegiate, National Team, Club, and Provincial Team levels, Ron has been coaching and working with athletes of all ages in the sport of Volleyball. Ron’s passion and dedication to the game of volleyball combined with his intensity and competitive spirit have produced many amazing teams and athletes over the years. He continually influences and mentors other coaches with his refined leadership skills, promoting excellence in coaching and athletic development.
- GPRC Wolves U16 Girls Volleyball Division 1 Provincial Gold
- GPRC Wolves U16 Girls Volleyball Division 1 Volleyball Canada Nationals. 5th place
- 2018 Mikasa Achievement Award Winner, Volleyball Alberta
- 2018 Coach of the Year, Volleyball Alberta
- NCCP level III Certified – Volleyball
- NCCP Level 4 – partial
- NCCP Technical Course Conductor – Volleyball Level I, II, III
Developmental Coach of the Year
Anthony Wall, Football
Anthony Wall is the head coach of the Grande Prairie Broncos Bantam organization, and assistant coach for the St. Joseph Celtics football program. He has coached for the last 20 years, where he started in BC with the Ballenas High School Whalers on Vancouver Island. Anthony has also spent 3 years coaching with the Grande Prairie Peewee Football League with the Blue Colts. He is married to Shauna, and has two children – Angelina and Ethan who also plays with the GP Broncos.
- 2018 Horner Cup Champions
- 2018 Tier III Football Alberta Bantam Provincial Champions
- 2018 Tier II ASAA High School Football Bronze Medallist
Female Athlete of the Year
Michelle Grisales, Judo
In 2018 Michelle won the Canadian National Championships and was chosen by Judo Alberta as U16 Female Athlete of the year at the Calgary Sports Hall of Fame. She also qualified to represent Team Alberta at the Canada Winter Games.
- Feb 11/2018- Judo provincial tournament, Gold Medal
- Feb 17/2018-Alberta Winter Games – Silver Medal
- March 11/2018-Edmonton International-Gold Medal
- April 1/2018- London, England Sportfit International-Placed 9 with 27 competitors
- May 19/ 2018 -Nationals in Calgary -Gold Medal
- Oct 13/2018-Canadian Winter Games Fight offs-Gold medal and classified for the Team Alberta
- October 21/2018- Saskatchewan Open- 2 gold Medals- Won in Seniors division and U18 division
- Nov 10/ 2018- Ontario Open in Toronto- Gold Medal
- Nov 17/ 2018- Won U16 Female Athlete of the year Judo at the Calgary Sports Hall of Fame
Junior Female Athlete of the Year
Catherine Minic, Swimming
Catherine has been a member of the Piranhas Swim Club for over 5 years and has worked her way through the various different squads in her time. Now at the pinnacle of the program Catherine dedicates 20+ hours per week in and out the pool to a sport she loves and wishes to excel in and is an inspiration to every other swimmer in the local aquatic community.
- Set a new 14yrs & 15yrs 200m Butterfly Provincial record at the Ontario Junior International Swim Meet December 15th 2018.
- Canadian Junior Championships July 25th – 29th 2018 Competed in the 13/14yrs olds category 2 Gold 100m & 200m Butterfly, 2 Bronze 200m & 400m Ind.Medley 1 Bronze 1.5km Open Water.
- Selected to “Swim Canada’s National Development Summer ID Team” for her gold medal winning performances at last July’s Canadian Junior Championship. She has been recognized as an future athlete with potential to perform at higher levels of
competition for Canada as only one of of 38 girls across the country, born between 2002 & 2005.
- Alberta Summer Championships June 28th to July 1st 4 gold 100m & 200m Butterfly 200m & 400m Ind.Medley
Male Athlete of the Year
Tyler Funk, Volleyball
Tyler demonstrates leadership, sportsmanship and athleticism at the highest level. He has signed to play with the University of Calgary Dinos this fall.
- May, 2018 Selected Player of the Wave at U17 Volleyball Nationals
- Selected to Team Alberta U17 Volleyball team, trained in Calgary and competed at National Team Challenge Cup in July.
- GPRC Super Red Volleyball Tournament , Team Captain of PWA Titans who were tournament champions and Tyler was awarded MVP
- Led Peace Wapiti Academy to a second consecutive zone championship and a silver medal at 3A Provincial Championships (best ever finish).
Tyler was invited to and participated in both the GPRC High School All Star Game and the University of Alberta Golden Bears High School All Star game with 24 of the top players in Alberta
Junior Male Athlete of the Year
Carter Kettyle, Football, Multi-sport
Carter loves football, hockey, basketball and golf. When Carter is not playing, you can find him Junior coaching Pee Wee Football or on the ice mentoring two young goalies
- Tier III “A” Banner win, Grande Prairie 2018
- Gold Medal St.Kateri Grade 8 Basketball, January 2018
- 2 X Celtic Academy Athlete of the month, 2018
- Kateri Male Athlete of the Year, 2018
- Selected Zone 8 Alberta Summer Games Football team (3 touchdowns) August 2018, Grande Prairie AB
- Game Ball September 8th, 2018 Grande Prairie AB
- Game Ball November 10th, 2018 Bonnyville AB (4 touchdowns including game winning catch in final seconds) 21 total touchdowns (11 regular season, 3 league playoffs, 7 provincials) Sept-Nov 2018
- Team MVP Grande Prairie Broncos, December 2018, Grande Prairie AB
Team of the Year
GPRC Wolves Club U16 Girls, Volleyball
This team was diligent in following a process of trying to get better every day. Through a few ups and downs this group stuck together to push each other to improve each week. A great team wins together and loses together, but always sticks together. This group did a great job of sticking together. They competed at the National level in Division 1-tier-1 placing 5th out of 16 teams from across Canada.
- 2018 February, Division 1 Premier – Silver
- 2018 March, Division 1 Premier 2 – Silver
- 2018 April Division 1 Premier 3 – Silver
- 2018 May Division 1 Provincials – Gold
- 2018 May Division 1 Tier 1 Nationals – 5th
Event of the Year
2018 Alberta Summer Games
The Alberta Summer Games Society was founded in 2016 to put on the Games in 2018. It was a successful co-hosted event
between the City and County. Over 2000 participants spent 4 days in our region where they experienced a great event amidst all of the pouring rain! The Board and staff did a tremendous job putting on this hugely successful event for our region and we look forward to hosting future sporting events such as the Arctic Winter Games in 2022
Dave Bleile, Football
Dave is a retired teacher from the County of G.P., where he taught for the last 28 years at Sexsmith, Bezanson, and Wembley. He was District Sports Coordinator for over 20 years and was involved in both coaching and officiating a variety of sports, especially basketball and volleyball. Dave began officiating football in the mid 90’s and has now been involved for over 20 years.
- Achieved Level III Status with Canadian Football Official Assoc.
- Locally Officiated Peewee, Bantam, High School, As Well as G.P. Drillers and G.P. Northern Anarchy
- Has Officiated Levels II, III, IV, ASAA Provincial Play-Offs for the past 15 years
- Has Officiated in Alberta Summer Games 2000, 2008, 2010, 2018
- Helps conduct clinics for local Officials
Darren Foley, 3D Charity Tournament
In 1999 Darren organized the first 3D Charity Tournament to raise funds to help a student that needed a heart transplant with travel expenses. The money raised helped them financially but also demonstrated to the family that they were not alone and that a community of support was behind them.
This inaugural event also highlighted similar circumstances with other students. Thus, the 3D Charity was born and has grown into a major local initiative that has raised close to 1 million dollars for seriously ill children in our region. For the past 2 decades, Darren has worked tirelessly and selflessly in this endeavor, never for a moment expecting any sort of return in the form of personal recognition or rewards; truly an unsung hero.
Sarah Herman, Beach Volleyball
For more than 10 years Sarah has given her time, expertise and passion to develop Grande Prairie Beach Volleyball into the program that it is today. In 2018 she managed 5 nights of league play with 140 teams and coordinated the upgrading of the sand courts to meet the standards required to host the 2018 Alberta Summer Games beach volleyball event. From building sheds, shoveling sand and laying sod – coaching youth volleyball from grass roots & up to developing local volleyball players to compete Provincially and Nationally, Sarah is a sport builder in the truest sense.
- The sport of Beach Volleyball has grown significantly in Grande Prairie and Sarah has helped put our youth beach volleyball on the provincial and Nationals radar with several athletes winning provincial titles and national medals.
Adrenaline Athletics Cheerleading and Tumbling Gym
Adrenaline Athletics and Tumbling Gym rallied around a family in our gym in September when their house burnt down in Cobblestone. They unfortunately lost everything including 2 family pets. The gym worked tirelessly to collect clothes, gift-cards, furniture and housing items to help them start over. With a Go Fund Me page earning over $12,000 to help the family rebuild. The community as a whole came together and supported this family. We are so proud of the cheerleading and tumbling community!
- 2017 – 2018 Alberta Cheerleading Associations – Team Sportsmanship Of The Year
- 2017 – 2018 Alberta Cheerleading Associations – Supporting School and Community Spirit Of The Year
- 2018 February 5th Place finish in Las Vegas at Jamz Nationals
- 2018 April 1st Place and 2nd Place finish at All Star Cheer Extravaganza – April 2018